Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ban This Book

Our financial advisor's family got Ari this book for Christmas: Don't let the pigeon stay up late.

It's all about this pigeon that tries to finagle a later bedtime. He doesn't succeed but, boy, does he work it. It's hilarious for adults and, we're finding, quite influential on the two-year-old wheedling process. For example, this evening:

I tuck Ari into bed and as I walk out the door...

Ari: Wait, Mom. Wait, wait.

Me: Yes, Ari?

Ari: Um, um, um, um, um, um. Choo choo book.

Me: Yes, we'll read it together in the morning.

Ari: Wait. No. Choo choo book here. (pointing at the mattress next to him)

Me: Okay. (retrieving the choo choo book from the bookcase)

Ari: No. Wait. Not that.

Me: You want the Toby book?

Ari: Yes.

I swap out the choo choo book for the Toby book.

Ari: Wait. Wait. No, not that.

Me: (with growing fatigue) Ari, I'm going to give you one more book and that's the end of it.

Ari: (quite cheerfully) Okay!

I add one more train book to the crib, say good night and begin to walk out the door.

Ari: Wait, wait. Wait, Mom.

Me: Yes, Love?

Ari: Um, um, um, um, um, um, um, um. Sixteen.

Me: Sixteen?

Ari: Yes!

Me: Sixteen, huh? Okay, I'll see you in the morning. I love you.

I close the door to the muffled sounds of more random numbers.




No comments: