Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Scenes from Our Evening

I come in from getting the mail.

Sascha: Whatcha got in there? Can I see, babe?

Ari: See, see, babe? See, babe?

.....

Of course, the humor of the above anecdote is clouded a mere 15 minutes later by Ari eating only his garlic bread and three bites of his nutritious spelt pasta dinner and announcing that he's "all done, down please"...only to get down, realize there are crumbs on his sock, pick them off and proceed to eat them.

Sock crumbs. Where did I go wrong?

Perhaps it was when I allowed him to eat his oatmeal in front of the TV this morning so we could watch the inauguration. The day seemed to go downhill from there. It's never good to start the day with TV but when you live on the Left Coast and a major event in our history is taking place at noon on the Right Coast, you make accomodations. Besides, it choked me up to sit next to my two year old and witness this change in our history and to listen to Obama's words.

And Ari didn't let me down. Five minutes into the program, he looked at me with his soulful hazel eyes and said, "Where football?" I tried to explain what was going on and why we were watching this, to which he shook his head in toddler disgust, slid off my lap and, muttering something about "predent" and "football", walked away to play with his train set.

No comments: