Thursday, April 24, 2008

Don't Judge Me on the State of My Refrigerator

The shelves are crusty in spots and and seem to be conducting a breeding program for plastic containers; there is order to nothing. The door boasts purple crayon "artwork" (no, not on paper, directly on the door), alphabet magnets and family/friend pictures. The sides are feathered with Gymboree schedules, park maps, errand and grocery lists, flyers, menu ideas...and more crayon. I've narrowly missed a concussion by opening the freezer door without care...frozen soup is heavy. And I occasionally find toys tucked in various corners of the shelves and drawers.

This is my fridge. Don't judge me.

I have recently become aware, and slightly sensitive to, how this large appliance looks and functions. For two reasons...First, I've been reading an "organizational" book (yes, yes, I know) and the author chastised an old friend of hers who let her fridge crusties build up to the point of small villages by the time she finally had to move out of her house ("why couldn't she just wipe down the shelves every week before grocery day?" Cripes.). Hmm. That sounds familiar. And she was implying that there was something wrong with that. Ergo, my new-found sensitivity. The second reason is that we have our first non-family/non-close friend babysitter coming on Saturday and I don't want her to be scared away. Because apparently, fridge crusties and intense disorganization are not the norm (?). By the way, folks...feel free to correct me on this one.
Now, I didn't grow up with an immaculate fridge (although Mom and Dad do seem to have a problem deciphering the expiration date on several items, which has become a family joke) but it did stay pretty clean. Much cleaner than mine, which is slightly embarrassing because I have one kid and Mom had three of us running around. Maybe my priorities are just different (read: kind of effed up). For example, I'm a little lenient when it comes to Ari's fridge usage. There should be none, right? He's 18 months old for Chrissakes, he doesn't need to be in the fridge.
Weeell, I don't believe in saying "no, no, no, no" all the time and I do believe in fostering the creative spirit. So, when I'm putting together lunch or putting groceries away and the fridge is open/shut/open/shut and Ari is dragged out five times in a row, I'll frequently just leave it open for a minute or so and let him explore. That's why I'll find toys tucked in there and that's why the ketchup bottle disappears for an entire afternoon...only to be found in his dump truck that evening...and that's why plastic containers are shoved back haphazardly and also why I've saved the eggs on more than one occasion before moving them to higher ground. This morning I was putting our picnic lunch together and heard a pleased "aaaah" behind me and then a "thump". Ari had found the limes. They look like balls, you know.

And so, my lack of desire to be a no-no-no Mom has led me to a po pazza* refrigerator. And really, why say "no" when it's so much more fun to say "yes"...and to and find little cars in your veggie drawer.

*po pazza means a little crazy in Spanish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the 'fridge looks great babe. Just keep that boy away from my gin-and-tonic limes... unless he's trying to make one himself - smile.

Cassi said...

Your fridge looks a lot better than mine! Robbie spilled bean soup and the crusted brown pool is still sitting somewhere underneath the vegetable drawer weeks later. I'd like to blame it all on lack of time, but yet here I am posting on your blog instead of doing the vacuuming during precious nap time. Hey - sometimes sanity trumps cleanliness!!