Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Cinnamon Toast Mornings

Ari's just gotten up and is sitting on my lap at the kitchen table while I read devotions with a cup of coffee. He reaches for my cup...huh...that is not going to taste good...

"Would you like some juice?"

"Juusshh! Juussh!" he exclaims with a gigantic grin and practically falls off my lap to get to where we keep the sippy cups.

I am 100% sure that this is Ari's first clearly understood and clearly intentioned word. Juussh. He's been saying it now for about a week. Clearly, I'm a little trigger shy (have been a little too quick to jump on the word bandwagon in the past), so it takes me a while before I'll declare it an official "word". He's said words that have the intention of "kitty", "dadda" and "grandpa/ma" but this is the first really consistent one.

As a reward, I hand him his apple juice. "Juice," I say.

"Juuussh. Ha ha!"

We have contact.

He's been quite the entertainer this morning. We had eggs and cinnamon toast together and he kept hiding his toast strips under his sippy cup, holding up his hands in a "where did they go?" pose, and then whipping off the sippy cup and pointing at the toast underneath with a huge smile. "There they are, Ma!" He's been into that "Where's Ari?" game as he hides behind a chair or in his closet...or under his blanket. And then charging out to "surprise me" with a hug. Very cute. Oh how quickly they grow up. He used to just get a charge out of it when I'd surprise him - now he's got to do it in order for it to be fun.

After breakfast he walked over to one of his toys and started kissing the little playthings sticking off of it. Too cute - especially when he started kissing the dragon puppet (below). 'Course, he won't kiss us but at least he is demonstrating affection for inanimate objects....hmmm...

No comments: