Tuesday, October 30, 2007

it's the great pumpkin, charlie brown

...and so, to carry on a family tradition, I watched Charlie Brown's Halloween Special tonight with Ari. For those of you "of age", do you remember the holiday "specials"? You know, those holiday-specific cartoons (usually Charlie Brown in nature) that only aired once a year...oh, and The Wizard of Oz at Easter. I think, sometimes, the Smurfs had something...and I think another cartoon may have made the line-up (if you remember any of them, post a comment below - this could be a fun trip down memory lane).

Anyway, I've missed The Great Pumpkin for the last few years. I even taped it one year and never watched it. Sascha doesn't understand/appreciate my tradition so he has no motivation to sit us down in front of the TV (however, he will nag me until I come down and watch "House" with him). So I was bound and determined to watch it with my son this year, while Sascha did the dishes. We made it 20 minutes into the show before Ari climbed into my lap, rubbing his eyes suggestively and burying his face in my shirt with a whimper.

Okay. Time for bed. Now.

Once again, I missed having the entire Charlie Brown experience. Oh well. There's always next year. Maybe we'll even be able to have popcorn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, I know the Peanuts series is out there somewhere on video, if not DVD. Nathan used to love "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown" until he watched it so much he killed it (the video, not the Easter Beagle:) So you can get them and watch them any time, all the time (lucky Sascha.) By the way, anything Charles Schulz trumps "House" any day. How many decades have we been using the phrase "Charlie Brown tree?"