Thursday, September 13, 2007

rantings and SOS

Warning: below rant holds no mention if Adorable Ari's development, it is strictly About Me.
By some strange, unknown turn of events, I have become Housewife*. Now, I'm not sure how this has happened. I had never planned on becoming Housewife. And yet. Here it is. Housewives clean (I'm not that organized). Housewives do laundry (this I can do...it just takes three days). Housewives cook. This last point has me completely flummoxed. Which is why I am summoning the spirits, i.e. you guys. Please help. If you have any tips, protocols, processes (I know, I'm turning this into a Vice President position) to make cooking, grocery shopping, meal prep easier...especially if those tips include a way to do it with a whining one year old clinging to your leg throughout the entire ordeal...please pass them on! Any easy-to-prepare recipes, cookbook recommendations, websites... Bear in mind, I really don't know what I'm doing in the kitchen.

Well, I guess I may as well pull out the big guns...if you have any tips on making life easier/more organized with a one year old...running errands, getting work done around the house, having time to yourself (should that ever happen)...please pass that on as well. I used to think I was an organized individual, but becoming Mother has blown that idea right out of the water.

Finally, if I am idealizing this prospect of being "organized" or the idea that it is possible to make the above experiences "easier"...please let me know. It'd be great to know that I am not the only one feeling that life is just a whirl of chaos, dirt, dried-on-the-chin Cheerios, cat hair stuck to almost everything, crying/whining/teething, backaches, and Mommy-clinging-in-the-grocery-store-when-he-doesn't-want-to-ride-in-the-cart. However, if I, God forbid, am the only one going through all of this...would the rest of you-in-the-know please either help me out or help me find a cheap daycare so I can go back to work!

*In using the term Housewife here, the author implies no negative connotation whatsoever. Please do not become angry with the author. The attached frustration is merely due to the fact that said author does not make a good Housewife...or Mother, at times. But she is working on it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meant to tell you about my favorite freezer cookbook/website:
www.30daygourmet.com
They've posted most of their recipes for free, and it's NORMAL food that normal people would eat-including kids, which I appreciate. I'm actually headed there now to buy myself an ebook or two (freezer lunches and the one for busy parents). We've been so pleased with their stuff. The message board also has a lot of great recipes (not tested by the authors, but recommended by readers) for different categories (even low carb and vegetarian stuff). Let me know what you think of it...it could make your life much easier...!

Cassi said...

Oh boy, you are definitely not alone Wendy! I try a different "system" all the time and it usually falls to crap within about 15 minutes after waking up. The three moderately helpful resources I have found are: The 5-Ingredient Gourmet Cookbook (simple, fast, healthy recipes. Unfortunately it's vegetarian, but you might find something similar with meat), the Fly Lady for cleaning/organizing tips http://www.flylady.net/, and finally a giant dry-erase calendar. It's big enough that I rarely fail to remember to write new appointments/deadlines/to-do lists. I wish we could sympathize in person, but know I am sending you sanity thoughts. And if you figure it out...for god's sake let me know!